Fireblood by Elly Blake

Fireblood by Elly Blake

My rating: 6/10

Would I reread it: Nope



Omg, no. Just no. This book took me a month to read, I almost felt like giving up but I hate doing that. To be honest it wasn't really even that bad,  I just wasn't invested in the characters because of the first book. Elly Blake's writing did improve at least, but her plot still just seemed waaaaayyyyy too coincidental and omg Ruby is so so special and blah blah blah.

Seriously though. Ruby, the only strong/remaining Fireblood in Tempesia. Ruby, the chosen one by Cirrus. Ruby, the Child of Darkness. Ruby, the lost Sudesian princess. Ruby, daughter of Eurus. Ruby, the first Nightblood.

Nightblood, really? Could there not have been a better name? Night has nothing to do with it and there's not even really any special extra powers, you just don't die if you're taken over by a Minax. And I really don't understand why/how a Minax possessing her mother while pregnant with her is what makes her  Nightblood. Technically Ruby still has some unknown human father and Eurus really just had his Minax hijack her mother for her pregnancy.

I really just can't continue with this series anymore but their covers are still gorgeous.


Here's a couple of my thoughts from while I was reading it that I managed to jot down:

It is really sad that the first two chapters here summarized the mythology of the land so much better than the previous book did in its 300+ pages.

"Perhaps I have a weakness for a certain variety of sweet. The kind that is not found on the dessert table."

When I read this line when we are first introduced to Kai it made me think he was a pervert. Especially when its coupled with something about his pants that I can no longer find.

It bugs me that Kai underestimates Ruby during their first battle. He sailed all the way to Tempesia to disobey his queen by bringing her back instead of making her their spy because she is the prophecied Fireblood who destroyed the frost throne and yet he thinks her weak? This makes no sense. I assumed she'd lose terribly because she had no training even if she is strong. Wouldn't Kai believe she could put up a decent fight?

Comments

Popular Posts