American Gods by Neil Gaiman

American Gods by Neil Gaiman

My rating: 5/10

Would I reread it: No




Neil Gaiman is really a hit or miss for me. I tend to like his works that are written for the younger ages but his adult novels are just meh. This was one of those meh books with a touch of "WTF?!"

I listened to the full cast audiobook production of the 10th anniversary extended author's edition, which I guess was a pretty good production overall as the voice actors were pretty good. However, I sometimes didn't understand the point of the random plot interruptions of a "Coming to America" story, as enticing as Neil Gaiman's voice is, they didn't help further the story along either. Also, what was with the crazy sex scenes?! Stop reading here if you don't want to be traumatized, but I feel like I was! My really big WTF moment was the scene where I don't even know what goddess she was, but she played herself off as a hooker and then ate some man through her vagina... Now how does that move the story along other than I vaguely remember her when she gets run over again and again until shes a squash of blood on the pavement by the fat techie god in the limo?

To be honest, I still don't quite understand the point of this book except that Shadow (spoiler!) is wanted by all the gods because Mr Wednesday aka Odin is Shadow's father. I don't even know who is good and evil because both new and old gods were weird and had ulterior motives. They were all basically using Shadow as a pawn and he was along for a wild ride, not really even caring if he lived or died because his wife, who cheated on him, was dead. Overall this book jsut felt like a long and boring road trip that I mostly wanted to end while I was reading it but did have some interesting parts that kept me excited and is mostly what I remember. Other than, you know, the boring and slow parts.

I'm almost interested in watching the show just to see the man get eaten by the vagina and some of the big name actors I hear got roped into playing gods. I will not, however, be continuing this series. Until next time Mr Gaiman.

Comments

Popular Posts