Three Dark Crowns / One Dark Throne by Kendare Blake

Books: Three Dark Crowns
             One Dark Throne         by Kendare Blake

My rating: 9/10

Would I reread: Already reread the first and definitely will reread the sequel before the third book!




I am so in love with this series. The premise is very interesting in that every generation three triplets are born to be queens and they must kill each other. The surviving one becomes the Queen of Fennbirn. Mirabella, Katharine, and Arsinoe are so cool and I want to be them, haha. Well maybe not Katharine. I have a hard time choosing my favorite queen and throughout both books I kept going back and forth on who I wanted to reign supreme because I really didn't want any of them to die! 

The writing throughout these books is easy to follow. Sometimes the plot might be a little slow but I had no trouble getting through and going into a slump like I do with other slow books. There is always too much excitement of what is going to happen to the queens.

Light spoilers ahead:

The twist at the end of Three Dark Crowns that Arsinoe is a poisoner and Katharine is really the naturalist really caught me and made me crave the sequel so badly. In One Dark Throne some people might be let down that there isn't as much bloodshed as they hoped. I mean, quite a few people die, but maybe not the ones you hoped for... or maybe one right at the end. As I said, I really had a hard time choosing the queen I liked best, but in the end I think I love Arsinoe most even though she annoyed me a lot in the first book. Katharine annoyed me a lot in the sequel, but then again she wasn't entirely herself... Mirabella was just okay in both books though I wish she was a little more bloodthirsty, but I guess not being so is the core of her personality.

There is way too much focus on Jules for her starting off as a side character, but I guess she's a main character too? I had just hoped it'd mostly be a war between the queens. I fear the third book will be mostly her point of view and the reigning queen of Fennbirn... :/ 

I really cannot wait to find out what happens in the third book!

Comments

Popular Posts