Too busy, 5/75 books read this year

So I've been way too busy lately to write up a long review for every book I read so I might just start posting books in batches with my ratings and a short blurb at the end of the month or every few books, whenever I have time. I've been interviewing for a job I really want so that's whats keeping me busy studying the things I need to know for the interviews. Programming is fun, programming is fun, programming is fun...... most of the time.


Goodreads tells me I'm currently 2 books ahead of schedule on my 75 book challenge this year. I'd love to not be racing the end of the year to finish for once. Granted last yeah my original goal was 50 and I upped it to 75 when it was clear I'd finish it by August. Whoops, who knew I'd get busy. Anyways, here's the books I've read so far this year:

1. Champion by Marie Lu, third in the Legend trilogy.
   9/10 Such a great ending to the series. It was really bittersweet because like June, we got what we wanted, but at a price. Very well done and I'm surprised Marie Lu's first series was so good. Still doesn't beat The Young Elites for me though.

2. Queen of the Tearling by Erika Johansen
   6/10 I listened to the audiobook and it was a little slow but still decent. I'm really intrigued by the world since it's like historical fantasy but in the future... I guess at some point there was a "crossing" where the guy who founded their country sailed from our world to where ever this is, and it was after Harry Potter was published because they made mention to "the seven volumes of Rowling" which I thought was neat. It's actually really interesting that they know of our technology and medical practices and yet can't recreate it yet where they are for lack of material. Other than the world building though, the plot is okay but slow. I will listen to the next audiobook at least.

3. Otherworld by Jason Segel and Kirsten Miller
  7/10 I got this in my LitJoy crate when I was expecting another book and it'd been the reason I got the crate...oops. Well it was definitely interesting. It did remind me a lot of Ready Player One but it was also really set apart from it too. The fact that The Company was staging accidents to force people to take part in their beta trial was interesting and that if you died in the game then you died in real life was new. I did feel like not a whole lot really changed by the end. I'm not saying barely anything happened because a whole lot did, it's just the situation is still pretty much the same as before and I'm not sure where this is headed. It most definitely has a sequel but I feel like whatever this arc is, could have been done in one book. I am confused about the last sentence though... is that a cliffhanger or just a mystery?

4. These Broken Stars by Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner
  9/10 Again, this one was by audiobook and omg was it addicting. I normally only listen to audiobooks while driving or at the gym but with this one I found myself listening while doing mundane tasks at home too. I know this whole trilogy is supposed to be three different galactic love stories but I did feel so much more here too. It is a slow burn which is great, and the fact that neither would have survived alone, they really did need each other to get through their ordeal. For the most part... I'm on the second book now and I'm noticing an overall plot arc of who the bad guys are in the universe though. I'm so excited to continue this series.

5. Worlds of Ink and Shadow by Lena Coakley
  7/10 I chose to read this since its my oldest OwlCrate book and after 2 years on my shelf it was starting to yell at me. It was well written and well researched, I just couldn't completely get into it. It was super easy and quick to read but it was not enthralling. The plot in the Bronte's fictional world just seemed really ridiculous, but for all I know that could be a similar plot to what the Bronte's actually wrote about when they were young. At the ends, everything did come together just a little too easily too. I did really like the idea of the price they all paid to travel to their fictional world as it is a plausible (if magic were real) reason for all Bronte children to have died so young.

Comments

Popular Posts