A Song of Wraiths and Ruin by Roseanne Brown

Title: A Song of Wraiths and Ruin
Author: Roseanne A. Brown
Rating: 7/10
Would I reread? Yes!





I really enjoyed the overall plot of this book and the messages it pushed around slavery and racism in a fantasy Africa.

As a debut book it did have a few issues:
The editing could have been a bit better in terms of verb tenses.
A character leaves a room and then is suddenly there again.
But also some of the characters felt a bit flat or forced.
I had to age up the main characters in my head. Malik is supposedly 14?!?! In my head he was early 20s as was Karina who I think also was around 16-18. The story isn’t as believable if Malik is only 14 but it clearly stated that 5 years was more than a third of his life....

I guessed the villain from the getgo of meeting them so it wasn’t a huge reveal when it was announced. Some of the situations felt a bit forced. I also got some very strong Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire vibes with the whole Solstasia challenge, especially that third challenge.

Overall I think the plot was mostly thought out, there’s a few holes and thin threads but as a debut book and a coming sequel maybe they will be fixed. The fantasy Africa created here was also really neat and I can’t wait to explore more of it and the magic with our two main characters.

Comments

Popular Posts