Secrets of the Starcrossed by Clara O’Conner

Book: Secrets of the Starcrossed 
Author: Clara O’Conner
Rating: DNF


I received an eARC of this book from Net Galley in return for an honest review.

I’ll be honest in that I had to DNF this book at about 40%. It was a really hard choice to make because there was so much potential here but I wasn’t feeling anything toward where the story was going or it’s characters and it was really dragging for me.

I think the author really knows her story and the history of this world where Rome didn’t fall. She knows it so well but it’s not coming through easily, it’s bursting through like a landslide of back story and information that isn’t particularly relevant to the current setting. Those parts felt like I was reading a history book. 

The marriage of technology, history, and magic is also a little confusing here. I wasn’t sure if this was supposed to be modern times since all the old Roman terms are used (and I had to look them up quite often, thank goodness for the dictionary built into kindle). It just didn’t feel very specific as to the point in time and then magic was thrown in which complicated it further.

Pacing was also a problem with this book. One day would last a few chapters then suddenly four weeks were gone in a paragraph without much warning or detail. Surely something of note would have happened or there could have been a less choppy way to write that.

In the end I couldn’t make myself continue because my heart wasn’t in it and reading was feeling like a chore. I’m sure this story will speak to someone, it wasn’t terribly written. I personally just have so many books to get through that if I’m not feeling something I need to let it go and move on.


TLDR: The premise is there but the execution wasn’t engaging enough for me.

Comments

Popular Posts